This is not so much a critique post as it is a conformation of how absurd the standards of art in the comic book industry have become.
I traveled to San Diego Comic Con this year and participated in the portfolio reviews they where holding from Thursday to Sunday. Although I will admit I am not the best artist in the world, I really wanted to try and show them that comic book art could be done in a realistic manor while still keeping the superhuman aesthetics of the art form.
This Batwoman piece was the work that I gained the most flack for from all the companies because the anatomy was as they quoted ‘not industry standard.’ At one company (which I shall choose to not name) I was given a full critique on the anatomical incorrections as the following.
"Her breasts are much too small and do not have the lift that superhero women should have. Her jawline is fat and her neck much too long. The style of her hair is clunky and does not flow in a sense that a super human would. Her hips, waist and thighs are too big and she honestly looks fat. No one is going to want to read a comic with a fat female protagonist. I honestly recommend looking at issues of Sport’s Illustrated to get the right anatomy. Those women are the peak of human perfection, and that is what we want in this industry."
Peak of human perfection? I don’t know about you, but I don’t see living on salad and dietary pills as perfection.
I would like to say this was just the opinion of one editor from one company, but I found similar opinions at almost every review I went to. By the end I was pretty upset, having been following this blog for very long and trying hard to make my anatomy believable and human. But this is not something the comic book industry seems to want, and it’s something that I thought everyone deserved to be informed on.
Again, this is not to bring attention to me and my own art, but rather inform the community of just what their artistic standards are, and why so many what we deem ‘bad artists’ are able to get full careers working for these companies.
Your Batwoman pic is awesome, and it’s not like you didn’t give her curves or anything and her breasts aren’t small. What do they think swimsuit models look like in a costume anyway? And honestly, your piece is a lot closer to that SI cover than a lot of the “industry standard” art, but it is interesting that they consider Sports Illustrated swimsuit models as what superheroines should look like (even though they don’t end up looking like SI swimsuit models either.)
It doesn’t surprise me though, but it’s sad that that is considered the “peak of human perfection”. I think they’re confusing “what I find attractive in women” and “a woman at the peak of athletic perfection” much less “human perfection.”
(As a note, I don’t think we should assume that professional models necessarily exist on diet pills and salads, nor that thin people are necessarily unhealthily starving themselves. Also, SI images probably are quite touched up too.)blog comments powered by Disqus
- cacntommyboi reblogged this from eschergirls
- stepintomyheadkid likes this
- beautifulcutehotsexyteengirls likes this
- gottllieb likes this
- a-very-far-cry likes this
- ifyouseemysanitycall likes this
- drinkingloverspit likes this
- whovian44442 likes this
- my-sisters-treasure-chest likes this
- narwhalextract likes this
- finalzsoul likes this
- mr-connor-hawke likes this
- elsuperfuzz likes this
- hate-fairy likes this
- spooky-pens likes this
- teenvvlf likes this
- yulsrain13tsq reblogged this from loish
- yulsrain13tsq likes this
- sovietdiva likes this
- green-eggz-and-cam likes this
- fugudestrudo likes this
- hollzhatter likes this
- hellothere1230 likes this
- hotcouplesswapingg likes this
- carlation likes this
- faverre likes this
- tumbleweedhouse reblogged this from eschergirls
- tumbleweedhouse likes this
- pocketghostie likes this
- happycrapys likes this
- chanclavoladora reblogged this from eschergirls
- kawories likes this
- chibicthulhu reblogged this from manboobmaiden
- chibicthulhu likes this
- lifemage reblogged this from eschergirls and added:
- jack3dragon likes this
- nerezafire likes this
- met-hana reblogged this from onwardtorakichi
- rosenberg-jeweller reblogged this from eschergirls
- thegingerbohemian reblogged this from eschergirls
- thegingerbohemian likes this
- arkycara likes this
- de-sidera reblogged this from manboobmaiden
- little-memories-marching-on reblogged this from clownyprincess
- tangentsandclementines reblogged this from eschergirls
- storyofaquietgirl likes this
- charlieusername reblogged this from mikelo
- charlieusername likes this